Recently, Aeley switched over from using white, black and shades of Gray, which he preferred in his paintings, to using vivid colours to depict flowers, jewellery and traditional clothing. His earlier preference to paint on large sized canvases and papers has also been abandoned, and his latest works are much smaller and compact.
Laxman`s paintings are nostalgic, depicting the rural people he grew up amongst. His source of inspiration has been the live of these poverty stricken people from his village – Kadirenigudem.
His paintings are a reflection of life in this village; tall dark men mostly shepherds, women clad in sarees, engaged in household work, conversing in lanes or carrying floral ‘bathukamma’; all different facts of life in his village. Laxman is among those few, who has the eye to see the heart to feel the pulse of a village in all moods and also the ability to draw the viewer into the misticity of his world.
About the Artist and his work :
BORN : 1964, Andhra Pradesh.
• 1996 Bachelor of Fine Arts (Painting), Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, College of Fine Arts, Hyderabad .
EXHIBITIONS – SELECTED SOLO EXHIBITIONS :
• 2008 ‘The River Underneath’, India Fine Art, Mumbai
• 2006 ‘Moods and Colors’, Fida Art Gallery, Singapore
• 2005 ‘Song of the Village’, Apparao Galleries, Chennai
• 2004 ‘Charismatic Contours’, Gallery Threshold, New Delhi
• 1999 ‘Images of Kadirenigudem’, Indian Council of Cultural Relations(ICCR) Art Gallery, Hyderabad
SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITIONS :
• 2008 ‘Symphony of Colors’, organized by Art Panache and ABN AMRO, Gurgaon
• 2007 ‘A P Art of the Habitat’, Leela Lounge, New York
• 2007 ‘Art for Prabhat’, Charity Show, New Delhi
• 2006 ‘Mapping the South’, organized by Vinyasa Premier Art Gallery, Chennai at Karnataka Chitrakala Parishath, Bangalore and at Regional Centre, Lalit Kala Academy, Chennai
• 2006 ‘India Ink’, Stonescene Gallery, New York
• 2006 ‘Deccan Command’, organized by Shrishti Art Gallery at Sridharani Art Gallery, New Delhi
• 2005 ‘Still Waters Run Deep’, Haceinda Art Gallery, Mumbai
• 2005 Graphic Portfolio of 20 Artists, organized by Gallery Space, Hyderabad
• 2005 ‘Divine Inspiration’, Hacienda Art Gallery, Mumbai
• 2005 ‘In the Creative Process’, presented by Prakrit Arts at Hong Kong Visual Arts Centre, Hong Kong
• 2005 ‘Mapping the South’, organized by Vinyasa Premier Art Gallery, Chennai at Lalit Kala Akademi, New Delhi
• 2003 Group Show with Indian and Danish artists in Denmark at Rundetaarn, Copenhagen, Vejle Kunstforening, Musikhust, Esbjerg, Pashuset, Nykobing Sj, Teko Centre, Herming, Lands by Galleriet, Timring, Thorasmindu, Laurentsvej, Roskilde Kunstforening, Roskilde
• 1995 ‘Tana’, Art Chicago, USA Participations
• 2005 International Biennale of Contemporary Art, Florence, Italy
• 2004 ‘Harvest 2004’, organized by Arushi Arts at Visual Art Gallery, Indian Habitat Centre, New Delhi
• 2001 National Art Exhibition conducted by Lalit Kala Academy at Ahmedabad
JOINT EXHIBITIONS :
• 2004 ‘Moods’, Art Alive, New Delhi
• 2000 Jehangir Art Gallery, Mumbai
HONOURS AND AWARDS :
• 1995 Annual Exhibition, Hyderabad Art Society, Hyderabad
• 1993 Gold Medal for Painting Competition conducted by Konaseema Chitrakala Parishath, Amalapuram, Andhra Pradesh
• 1987 Bronze Medal in the Painting Competition conducted by Amateur Artist Association, Nalgonda, Andhra Pradesh.
…… read full bio on the artist page